Sunday, July 18, 2010

An appetite is never satisfied...

Cognitive Dissonance

The uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two contradictory ideas simultaneously. The theory proproses that people have a motivational drive to reduce dissonance by changing their attitudes, believes and behaviors, or by justifyin or rationalizing them.

Cognition-the act or process of knowing; perception
Dissonant-not in harmony
Dissonance- lack of agreement; especially : inconsistency between the beliefs one holds or between one's actions and one's beliefs

The classical version of this idea is expressed in the Aesop fable The Fox and the Grapes, in which a fox sees some high-hanging grapes and wishes to eat them. Unable to think of a way to reach them, he surmises that the grapes are probably not worth eating anyway (that they are not yet ripe or that they are too sour). The dissonance of the desire for something unattainable versus the lack of fulfillment is reduced by irrationally deciding that the grapes must be flawed.

Because it is often easier to make excuses than it is to change behavior, dissonance theory leads to the conclusion that humans are rationalizing and not always rational beings.

Today in church we continued on the subject of one's appetite. An appetite of any kind can never ever be fulfilled. The only word it knows is more.

Appetite-the desire to satisfy a bodily craving.

We read from Genesis 25, as we learned how Esau literally traded his birthright to his brother Jacobfor one measley bowl of stew. Esau was so desperately hungry, he sacrificed his entire future and birthright as the first born son of Issac, because of a short term desire that was right infront of him because of how good the stew smelled and how starved he was at that very moment. He had focalism on his hunger.

Focalism- allowing too much focus on one event and not enough focus on the consequences of future events

As we live life, we need to be aware of what we want our future to look like and carry that picture with us-so we don't allow our appetites to get in the way of us being healthy down the road, of us being financially secure down the road, of us not being the best parents we can be by spending time with our children.

Impact bias-when we over estimate the length and intensity of impact of an emotional event. (maybe we thinking buying a new car or getting our drivers liscense will make life all better and we will feel great for as long as we have it-when in fact it the happiness will only last a little while.)

What short term financial decisions can cause a long-term impact we spend too much time digging out of?
What impact does that have on our family?
What example does that set for our children?
What is at stake as a business leader?

What impact does unhealthy eating have on our bodies longterm?
Do we use cognitive dissonance to justify eating junk food and food we shouldn't eat? I do.
Do we have focalism that causes us to make unwise impulse decisions?
Shouldn't we be more sound in our thinking and consider the consequences of the decision and not be so quick to react-but be discerning and thoughtful?

The sermon was ended with this:
If you don't have a clear and simple picture of what your future will look like-you will settle for anything that feels good in that given moment. Don't let your current appetites derail your longterm plans.

It is critical we become aware of this within ourselves, our habits, our decision-making and reframe and redirect our appetities. Be intentional and wise. Don't be foolish by being impulsive.

Dear Lord- Help me to defend against my impulsiveness whether it is with my tongue, how I spend my money, my eating habits, or my time. I pray I always turn to the Holy Spirit to guide me and I don't allow my flesh to just be reactive. I pray that I am able to walk in the Spirit in this area so that eventually the way I react to an appetite is natural for me and I make wise decisions that allow for my long term picture to be fulfilled. Lord-may I lean hard into you on this always-so that at any given moment, I am wise and I think big picture. I love you. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment