Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pick me! Pick me!

Why do some of us care so much about our clothes and how well dressed we are? Why do we spend $400 or more on a silly pair of shoes or $1k on a business suit or $500 on sunglasses that will soon be outdated or $100,000 on a car that depreciates 25% or more within minutes of driving off the lot? Then there are even some who have a closet full of purses that may even total close to $15-$20,000 and yet we buy a new one instead of reusing the ones we have piled up, still looking brand new. The point is-why do we spend our money the way we do-relative to our income.

Is it to seek the approval of men instead of God? Is it to be recognized by the world as someone special...above others? Are we living of the world or walking in the Spirit?

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.
(GAL 1:10)

servant: a devoted and helpful follower

I have to ask myself: Am I am devoted follower of the world or Christ? I can not be a servant to both.

When I was in elementary school I never ever wanted to be picked last. I can still remember clear as day, the pit in my tummy if it came down to me being one of the last three. When I played basketball growing up, I often would turn around after a defensive steal or scoring two points to see if my parents saw; I would even wait an extra few seconds to seek out their big smiles of approval. Then when I went to college it was so critical that my sorority "accepted" me. What if they hadn't? Oh boy, back then my world would have been destroyed if they had rejected me and my desire to be a part of their group-I would have felt worthless. Cut to my career where I have always sought the approval and recognition from my boss and at times even my peers. I even went so far five years ago to gain worth through the car I bought. At the time I didn't realize it -but now that I look back why else would I have bought that car-I mean seriously? This was only five years ago, when my faith was already at a deep place. Was I unaware that my decision was so self-indulgent? Did I surpress the guidance from the Holy Spirit at the time of the purchase or did I not even recognize the Holy Spirit's whisper? (Honestly I can not remember...I am sure the shiny new black car was all I could think of at the time and my mind was focused on instant gratification and not Christ) If we are really honest with ourselves, isn't part of the reason we buy jewerly, or design and decorate a home or drive a certain car-to indirectly imply to others "over here...look at me over here. Include me. I fit in. I am worthy." That was my logic. Why do we have this strong need for approval?

I know why I did...I desired to feel accepted and worthwhile, to know that I mattered and was special, to be included and considered important....and especially to feel loved. The moment we first begin to understand Christ's love for us, the realization of how precious we are to Him unravels. The approval we seek from the world slowly starts to dissipate. We are refreshed and it is beautiful. Aaahh-the heavy burden of acceptance is lifted. We are accepted, loved and cherished by Him.

He knew us before our parents even thought about us. Just take a moment and think about that....wow! Especially if you are a parent - think about how much you love your child or children...and to think that Christ loves them infiinitely more than you must be overwhelming. He created our innermost being and knit us together in our mother's womb. (Psalm 139: 13)
He made us. He will carry us and sustains us...until grey hairs and old age. (Isaiah 46:4)

Whatever life has handed us from the generation or generations before, we can take refuge in knowing that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. God's love for us in endless and unconditional. We don't need to dig ourselves in a hole, waste our time numbing ourselves from past pains or possibly even go bankrupt trying to gain acceptance, approval or recognition from the world. We are precious to Him. It is critical we grasp this or we will spend our lives in toil and then turmoil over our toil.

I know the Holy Spirit dwells within me and it is because of this, that when I make a poor decision in effort to gain the world's approval and not His, I am immediately uncomfortable inside my own skin. Yet, sometmes I still choose to surpress the Whisper that seeks to guide me away from my unwise choice. I used to flat out ignore the Holy Spirit-that is no longer the case. Regardless of my foolish ways, the Holy Spirit is still there inside me. The compromise becomes an uneasiness that lingers and it may plays itself out, even at times with more compromises-until it becomes a vicious cycle to the point where we can become so caught up in it we are unaware that we are living of the world and not of the Spirit. If we are a follower of Christ and if we truly have heart-felt love for Him-we are called to recognize this of ourselves and turn.

Each time I make a choice of any sort, I have to slow down and think about it. I need to ask myself...do I really care most about bringing glory and honor to God in the way I live or...do I chose to put myself first? What is this choice about? Merely me wanting instant gratification and possibly to gain acceptance and approval from others? How do I spend my time? On what do I spend my money? What do I do first each morning? What do I do during my down time? Does it serve a purpose of comfort or convenience for me primarily or am I spending myself for God's Kingdom? I have to call myself out on it. Do I? Not enough.

Lord- Help me to always put You and Your Kingdom first in all my choices. Hold me accountable. Call me out by making me restless when I make a choice that is self-serving and is intended to gain approval from men. Help me to always make choices that You approve of...in how I utilize my time...in how I speak...and in how I spend my money. Lord-Help me to be intentional. Help me to not be idle and to spend myself for your Kingdom. Help me to speak words that are refreshing, honest, uplifting, kind and gentle to others. Help me to be wise with my money no matter how much or how little I have. Help me to always think of others first. (I need lots of help here God) You call us to love You with all our heart, all of our soul and all of our mind and to love others just the same. May I make choices that You approve of always. I understand it isn't a matter of if You and the world approve-as a servant I can only have one master. Help me to not compromise. Help me Lord to get to a place where the decision-making is no longer of my flesh but only of my Spirit. Transform me Lord to always seek only Your approval. May I get to a place one day Lord where I don't even have to think about it-it just comes supernaturally by the way I live. I love you dear Jesus! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment