Monday, August 16, 2010

Heavenly Hosts






Romans 12:10
Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.



Today I was listening to a podcast and the pastor posed a great question. Do you use your home to host those who are maybe too uncomfortable to go to church? You can break bread with them at your dining room table and entertain and serve them or just love on them by listening when they are in need-all while exemplifying the love of Christ.

He asked if our homes have been used to pray over people? I smiled with excitement as I was grateful that I could say yes. But then I was immediately humbled as I thought to myself....well-it's not in that way enough.

And then it got worse when I realized my answer to the next question. He then explained that we are called to be missionaries not just overseas and outside of our borders-but in our own backyard and across the street. That is when I got so frustrated wtih myself and realized my own next door neighbor does not even know I am a follower of Christ and love Him so much.

And...I have just recently started to become a better hostess. For years I was always so stressed when people would come over. I didn't take time to talk to my guests because I was so busy with the details of the dinner or party. I didn't slow down and relax so they could enjoy themselves. I took on too much and I was always late for my own party. I always wanted to be the best entertainer and wanted my house to look as perfect as I could make it. I wanted to do it all myself. But that was all for my glory-not God's. About a year ago, I read this verse below and then it sunk in. I had been doing it all wrong. I am now focused on doing what I can to make them feel welcomed and comfortable. It is so much easier when the change comes from the Holy Spirit and not the effort of my flesh.

Maybe if I invite the neighbors on the one side over who I love and adore, it will help me get the courage to invite the one on the other side whom I barely know.



Hebrews 13:1& 2
Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

Mark 12:28-31
One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"
"The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."
It really says a lot to me when I have lived in my home for ten years and never once have I invited my next door neighbor over to break bread.
Lord- Thank you for your example. May I honor you and bring you glory by doing something that isn't necessarily easy for me but I know it is important to you. May I continue to draw near to you so I can learn more about Your Ways and how you call me to live each day. I get so caught up in my comfort and my schedule and my ways and what is convenient and habit. Help me to continue to break away from those patterns and become more like you. It isn't easy and it takes effort. I need your help. I love you Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment