Sunday, August 1, 2010

Out of this world


We are called to live in this world but not to be of it, not to love its ways-because its ways are not God's ways.

1 John 2: 15-17
Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For everything in the world-the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does-comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

These few words are so rich in substance, meaning and truth. It amazes me that although the Bible was written very long ago, it provides perfect counsel and wisdom for the current day.

For me, worldliness starts with my mind. I have to guard it. The Holy Spirit prompts me when I start to go off track. Then it is up to me to make the wise choice from there. I think as I begin to walk more often in the Spirit instead of my flesh, it becomes easier each to get back on track each time I vear off. But it takes self-control and a conscience decision to turn from one's longstanding ways. (or at least for me it does) I can not do it on my own. I need the Holy Spirit to guide me, as well as friends and family members who hold me accountable.

As we grow closer and closer to Christ, and when we receive the indwelling of the Holy Spirit-we become keenly aware of how vastly different the world's ways truly are from God's. We care more about His concerns, we become less self-focused, we take on the likeness of Christ...some more than others, each at our own place and time-as we go through this adventure of faith and intimacy with Christ.

Galatians 3:26
You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

We actually begin to rid ourselves from the world's ways and become clothed in Christ. It feels awkward at times. But wouldn't that make sense? Just because we live in this world, does not mean we are of it.

As I begin to feel uncomfortable in my worldly patterns in different areas of my life, that is my way of knowing I am growing closer to Christ and becoming more aware and even obedient.

Dear Lord- Thanks for keeping me on a tight leash and on the right track. Thanks for giving me ears to hear the whisper of the Holy Spirit. I know at the same time you call me to make the wise choice all the time as you have given us both knowledge and faith. May we walk wisely and humbly in this chaotic world, that is yet so beautiful too because you created it.

No comments:

Post a Comment