Thursday, September 2, 2010

A Day of Rest. Really?







Exodus 20:8-11 

 8 "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your manservant or maidservant, nor your animals, nor the alien within your gates. 11 For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

God calls us to observe the Sabbath still even today in 2010.  Do I do this today?  No.  I have really been wrestling with this lately.  I always tell God I love Him so much and yet my actions and how I spend myself and my time do not always align with my love for Him.  It is one thing to not recognize it-but when I do notice I am out of sync, that is when I must step up and make a decision.  Am I going to stop paying people to work in my yard on Sundays because it is convenient for me-since I am too busy during the week to get these things done?  Is it ok if I do it sometimes?  No not really-I need to honor God by my choices and obey His commands regardless.


Yet I like all others am not perfect and I do not obey Him always-but when I know something is being pressed on my heart, I need to do an about face and be obedient.


We can jump to Isaiah 58:13-14 and see it again with a promise.
"If you keep your feet from breaking the Sabbath
   and from doing as you please on my holy day,
if you call the Sabbath a delight 
   and the Lord's holy day honorable,
and if you honor it by not going your own way
   and not doing as you please or speaking idle words,
then you will find your joy in the Lord,
    and I will cause you to ride on the heights of the land
    and to feast on the inheritance of your father Jacob."
                                                              The mouth of the Lord has spoken.


It always comes back to God's intentions as the Creator.  He intended for us to have a day of rest.   Why? Well to take the notes from my Bible...
   The day of rest should be observed and regarded not only because Sabbath-keeping is a commandment but also because it is best for us and because it honors God.  Keeping the Sabbath shows proper respect to God, Our Creator, who also rested on the seventh day.  Our day of rest refreshes us spiritually and physically-providing time when we can gather together for worship and when we can reflect on God without the stress of everyday activities.


It also unifies and sets priorities for our family.


I remember Sundays at my grandmother's house as I was growing up before we moved to Atlanta.  It was so much fun and a great tradition that I so enjoyed.  Being with my mom's extended family at my grandmother's house and all sitting down together to eat on Sunday afternoons was one of my fondest memories as a child.  I grew close to all my Aunts and Uncles and Grammy and had lots of fun with my cousins too.  My grandmother didn't have a fancy house or anything.  We would mix and match tables, pull chairs together and extend the tables from the dining room into the living room for the kids table.



I grew up with my mom carrying forth the same tradition for our own family...cooking all her delicious Italian dishes on Sundays as well.  What a special treat. 
Then I moved to California where I lived in a little apartment.  On Sundays I would walk down to the market after church and buy fresh bread, tomatoes and vegetables, come home and then make sauce.  I would let it simmer all day long.  The tradition continued-even when it was just me.


When I walk into my mom's house, which is not so often these days, and smell fresh sauce and meatballs on the stovetop, I feel close to Grammy, my mom and God.  I feel rested.  I feel refreshed. 


Now with a house to take care of, a busy schedule at work during the week which often requires travel, I spend my weekends playing catch up.  I run errands.  I have a few handy men who help me with my house and yard.  I meet up with friends and family for lunch.  I indulge myself in a facial or massage sometimes too often.  And then before I know it, it is Sunday, I am behind, so I try to catch up and squeeze what I can in on Sunday afternoons.
I do what is convenient for me instead of what is reverent to the God I love so much.
Where is the downtime?  Where is the time with family?  Where is the time to rest and get refreshed before the whole cycle starts over again?  God calls us to honor the Sabbath because He knows what is best for us.  


Maybe I will ask everyone if they want to start coming over to my house on Sunday afternoons.  I definitely could afford to learn a few more recipes and I am sure being with my family and obeying God's commandment would be refreshing to my soul and everyone elses! :)  


Lord-  I know you always know what is best for me.  Hold me accountable.  Remind me when I am planning my weekends to honor You and the Sabbath.  When I am refreshed, I am in congruence with You.  I am not flustered and overwhelmed.  I am at peace even in the eye of a stormy week.  I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment