Saturday, September 18, 2010

Things eternal.....

It is so easy for me to lose focus on eternal riches, as I get wrapped up in less important things in the moment.

As I was waking up this morning, coming out of my sleep I had a revelation.  

Today is Saturday.  I committed to build a powerpoint deck for my VP over the weekend for a meeting he has Monday morning.  It all just came about as a request Thursday night and I was in an all day meeting on Friday.  Eager to step up and honored to be asked to assist, I was dedicated to the task at hand.  I would drop everything and rearrange my weekend schedule regardless of other plans to get this done.

Do I do the same for God when He calls me to do something?  NO.

So as that was going through my head this morning, I realized how able, willing and ready I was to immediately do this for my VP...yet, I have been working on a project for the One and Only CEO in Heaven for over two months now because I keep allowing less important things to take precedence.  It is something I could have completed in less than a month and here I am in my third month.  Why?

I think it is a combination of things....one I am constantly getting burned out from my daily duties at work and it makes me worthless after 7pm at night.  So-what does that tell me?  I need to wake up earlier to do the important things I want to accomplish.  If that means 5am or 5:30am then I need to organize my evenings to go to bed early enough to wake up early.

Also-I need to plan my weekends better and stick to the plan.  I am not good at this at all....when the weekends come, I sense freedom and I want to just go with the flow.  Oh and how I enjoy that.  I am encouraged to make an about face in this area when I think of all my friends who are parents. (99.9% of my friends)  They don't get to just do whatever they want, whenever they want, rather they have one, two, three children they are responsible for caring for, loving on and driving to places.  Their days are consumed with deeds for others.

Being single, it is so easy to get sucked into focusing on just myself.  I need to defend against that and make the effort to spend my time helping and serving others, otherwise I will end up unfufilled in the long run.  It is one thing to say it and know it and another to actually do it.

Why am I a person who has all of these big ideas, big goals and visions and yet I spend a lot of my time on things of such little value?

I am sure there is a balance in all this.  Each morning is a new opportunity to get things in order.  It is not going to happen without effort, work, and a plan that I am committed to sticking to...day by day.

Do I love Him enough to get things in order?

Lord-  In Romans 7 we learn about how our flesh wants to do one thing and the Holy Spirit dwelling inside of us desires to do what we are called to do-bring You honor and glory by loving and serving others.  Yet while we know this and what know what is the right thing to do, we don't do it.  Help me as I struggle with this constantly, to get to a place where I always put You first Lord....always!


No comments:

Post a Comment